MidAmerica National Bank has offices located in Canton, Cuba, Henry, Lewistown, and Macomb and provides full-service banking to its customers. Throughout its history, MidAmerica National Bank’s principal guiding force has been the desire to serve the community and its residents. We pride ourselves on our local decision making at each banking center and in our employees’ community involvement in area organizations and events. We believe it’s not enough to be a bank located in the community – you have to be an integral part of what makes the community tick.
MidAmerica National Bank has assets of approximately $440 million and has approximately 400 shareholders located throughout the communities we serve. The bank is governed by a 10-member Board of Directors that meets at least bi-monthly, and is managed by its Executive Management Committee and its officers, whom are designated by the Board. As a national bank, MidAmerica is subject to strict requirements of both federal and state laws and regulations. All deposits are insured by the FDIC.
if you have any questions or suggestions!
MidAmerica National Bank Board of Directors
Dr. Robert C. Bobell, Optometrist/Owner, Progressive Vision Center, LTD
Dr. William R. Buckley, Retired Surgeon, Graham Hospital
James J. Elson Jr., Attorney, Elson Law Office
Chad E. Hartwig, Co-Owner, Ed Hartwig Trucking & Excavating, Inc.
Michael S. Hillyer, Manager, Triple H Investments, LLC
Stephen R. Hopper, Retired CEO, McDonough District Hospital
Rick R. Klinedinst, President & CEO, MidAmerica National Bank
Shelly L. Martin, CEO/Administrator, Wesley Village Retirement Community
Robert L. Read, President, Read Bros., Inc.
Benjamin R. Shelby, President, Ben Shelby, Inc.
MidAmerica National Bank History
Following the stock market crash in 1929 and the March 1933 National Bank Moratorium, all three existing banks in Canton, Illinois were closed. They included The First National Bank, the Canton National Bank, and the First State Bank & Trust Company. Business and banking life in Canton were greatly affected by these closures, so stockholders of the First National Bank and the Canton National Bank met on June 28, 1933 to discuss the situation. Upon the recommendation of federal authorities, it was decided that a new banking organization would be formed and named The National Bank of Canton.
The Comptroller of the Currency issued a charter for the newly organized bank on November 22, 1933 (11-22-33) and, subsequently, The National Bank of Canton opened for business on the morning of November 28, 1933.
The first Board of Directors consisted of seven members and the bank opened with a force of nine employees. During the first hours, long lines were crowded at all teller windows. Two additional employees were hired during the first week of opening, as the tellers worked long hours, often until past midnight tabulating the business of the day. It was announced that deposits during these first days exceeded withdrawals by ten to one and by the end of the first week, total resources of the bank were $770,432.
From 1933 until 1969, the bank occupied the building that had previously housed the Canton National Bank, which was located at 2 E. Elm St., on the south end of the square in Canton. In 1969, The National Bank of Canton constructed and moved to a new building, just down the street, at 100 W. Elm St. in Canton, and, today, this location continues to operate as the bank’s main banking facility.
Over the years, the service area of the bank has expanded to include Cuba, Henry, Lewistown, and Macomb. On January 12, 1987, the bank purchased the State Bank of Cuba, and shortly thereafter, on March 2, 1987, it purchased the Lewistown Bank. Then, on July 1, 1997, the bank purchased the Union National Bank in Macomb, bringing back local ownership to that area and expanding our reach from Fulton County into McDonough County. Most recently, on May 1, 2017, the bank purchased the Henry State Bank to expand our reach into Marshall County.
On January 20, 1998, to better reflect our market expansion and greater product offerings, the name of The National Bank of Canton was changed to MidAmerica National Bank. Today, MidAmerica National Bank employs around 125 staff to help serve our customers located in and around the five communities where our offices are now located. In keeping with our tradition of service to our communities, our brand, our positioning statement, and our daily vision is “Your Bank For Life” and is meant to be applied to our shareholders, employees and customers alike.
Shown below is the evolution of our logo.